Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Did you know?

Did you know that....

Writing a check to yourself from your overdrawn account and then depositing that check into the same account at an atm that that is considered kiting from your own account and your account will be closed? (customer response: Oh, I guess I shouldn't have done that... ya think?)

Statements are sent out by the bank to help you balance your account? (yes, there are people in the world that truly don't know what a statement is)

Just because there is a commercial on TV telling you that if you travel and only bring your check card with you that that doesn't mean the bank can help you if your card is lost or possibly closed without your knowledge? (Unfortunately, your card can be closed at any time and it is only one way to access your account. It is not the bank's fault if you only bring your check card with you as your only means of payment)

That the bank is not 411? (we do not have the number to another bank of your choosing, your local police department, etc.)

If you don't balance your statements for years and there is an unauthorized charge, the bank cannot dispute anything older than 6 months? Here's my conversation with Mr. X:

Mr. X: I just balanced my account statements for the last 9 years. I have unauthorized debits from Company A.
K: Well, Mr. X, I would be happy to file a claim for you. Unfortunately, I would only be able to go back 6 months.
Mr. X: You don't understand! I didn't authorize this charge! I cancelled my subscription 9 years ago. They have no right to take out this money. They have been charging me $50.00 a month for the last 9 years. You are my bank! You have to fix this and get my money back.
K: I would love to help you get all of your money back Mr. X, however, I am unable to dispute anything over 6 months. Why haven't you been balancing your account on a monthly basis?
Mr. X: I don't worry about my account as I have plenty of money. I don't have to balance my account every month. You need to fix this. I want my money back.
K: Well Mr. X, I can file a claim on the last 6 months of transactions that are unauthorized. For anything older than that, please contact Company A.
(at this point the conversation is stuck in a loop)

Moral of this story: Always balance your account and check your statements or you could be out $5,400.00 too.

**all information above based loosely on actual conversation with the customer.

Now to continue on with more fun while working at the convenience store....

I eventually got tired of managing a convenience store and started managing a Tobacco Outlet. That was interesting as I am not even a smoker. Funny thing is that I actually created training material on Cigars to be used in our stores for co-workers to assist customers. Occasionally, I would have a break in in the middle of the night. This isn't specifically what people said, but more what they did.

#1. At one point, the power had gone out in my store, actually the entire neighborhood was without power due to severe weather. I came into work the next day and called the home office about the power outage. They were asking for it by telling me to put a sign on the door saying "Closed due to Power Outage." Keep in mind that there was a security system in the store. It has battery back-up, but it only lasted for 24 hours. Can you imagine what happened? The jerks took a metal cutter and cut around the dead-bolt in the door. Pulled the door free and took merchandise and cigs. Hmmm...think that one might have been a little inviting? I should have put up a sign that says "Battery back-up only lasts 24 hours..come back at midnight if you want to steal anything..you'll be in the clear."

#2. If you are trying to shoplift, don't stand in the middle of the store in plain view and put a carton of cigs in the sleeve of your coat and then deny it when I have it on tape.

#3. If you are going to be intelligent enough to attempt to shoplift, don't make it obvious by walking directly into the shelf to grab some Swisher Sweets and tell me that you have to go outside and talk to your girlfriend. Didn't work did it?

I have to say that it was definitely fun to work there. I'll have to blog the shoplifting and break ins on my other blog. I'm just not doing that fast to irritate Dana. :) Hee hee.

2 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

Keem! I'm so excited to have you blogging with us! Yea! Thank you for the fun stories. I look forward to many, many more. (Hee hee)

You have the best moron stories. =)

11:50 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

You know, I swear I talked to Mr. X before. Didn't you talk to him and then he escalated to me? I remember saying "Dude. No one's that rich." On mute, of course.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home