Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Grammar people! Grammar! It is important!

Why are there certain words people just can't say? Customers and bankers alike, there are words that when they violate my ears, I cringe.

I have heard this phrase before, "I wanna ax you a question. I got dis insignificant funds notice on my checkings account but I know I had monies in there. Someone must have stoledend my monies!"

AHHHHHHHHHH!

"Ax" me a question? What? Are you threatening to chop me in two? I'm not a tree!

I am not commenting fuller on wanna and dis. I know these are more dialect than improper grammar.

"Insignificant funds"? Try insufficient. This means you didn't have the money, not that your money has no value. Big difference when said to a banker.

"Checkings account"? Not quite as annoying as "monies" and "stoldened" (I'll get to them, I promise), but still horrible. It is a checking account. Drop the 's'. You may have a "savings" account. Checking is not plural. It is a checking account because you use the funds by writing a check. Savings is plural because you are saving up funds. If there was only one fund in there, you are no longer in the process of saving!

"Monies"? Only plural when you are actually referring to different types of money. For example, if you said you had a collection of monies and it included dollars, pesos, francs, etc., you would then be correct. If you are referring to the funds in your account, they are all one type of money!

"Stoledend"? This is my absolute worst pet peeve at work. I have actually heard bankers use this term and I want to scream. Try the terms: stole or stolen. Stoled is not a word! I understand it is an irregular verb, but saying, "stoledend" makes you sound like an IDIOT!

Other terms I've heard but not in the phrase listed above:

"Benifixinary" instead of "beneficiary". This came from a banker. What image are we presenting as a representative of NABABNA when this is said? A BAD one. Yeah, that's right, an unprofessional one.

Not necessarily poor grammar, but just plain scary:
This was said to a third party calling in, "Hey, Mister Phone Guy on the Phone." When I spoke to the banker about it, he asked me what he could have used instead. I said, "Oh, I don't know. How about 'Sir'? Sir is a good choice. It's shorter even!"

As I come up with more, I will add new posts.

I dread spell check on this one.

12 Comments:

Blogger Firebear said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Firebear said...

Had a guy ask me where he could find a "Notary Republican" (instead of a notary public)

7:31 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Beth, I love it! I've been waiting for this one for awhile!

Notary Republican...hmm, I wonder if that means there are Notary Democrats as well.

8:28 AM  
Blogger stefani said...

What is even funnier is when they send in an email request and write just like they talk. LOL! I also work in a call center and in addition to speaking to customers (usually on escalated callbacks) I do email support.

Thanks for the new post. I 'preshat' that! (customer's word not mine. LOL!)

At least no one can say that our job is boring!

9:30 AM  
Blogger stefani said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:31 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I love it - preshat. That's just frightening.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Lioness said...

Oh I do so wish you spoke Portuguese, I SO could entertain you! Isn't "ax" a black thang?

6:50 PM  
Blogger Firebear said...

i own an ax, and i'm not black, i'm a pirate

11:02 AM  
Blogger radiokid said...

Thanks for the heads up on the use of the word 'monies'. I have to edit school newsletters and teachers really like to use that one. Isn't ax considered more a dialogue thing as well? I always thought so.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an elitist douchebag you are! And, you have no right to be one! YOU WORK AT A BANK.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Pork Fried Ryan said...

you make yourself seem more ignorant than the people you're angry about. i suggest you read some steven pinker or any of multiple linguistics experts out there and get your facts straight because coming to uneducated conclusions and passing them off as common sense makes you appear extremely unintelligent.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to do this but, whoever posted this-"you make yourself seem more ignorant than the people you're angry about. i suggest you read some steven pinker or any of multiple linguistics experts out there and get your facts straight because coming to uneducated conclusions and passing them off as common sense makes you appear extremely unintelligent."- is trying so hard to be different that he mispelled his own name "Johnathon" I believe it's spelled Johnath(A)n but whatever you're different.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home