Thursday, July 15, 2004

I can't be overdrawn. I still have checks left.

Yeah, funny, huh?  Working in the banking industry, I have come to believe that people should take a class before they are allowed to open up a checking account.  I believe this because I wish I would have taken one before I opened up my checking account at the tender age of 18 (19 years ago, sigh) and I actually thought this to be true.  I also work on the help desk at a major bank and will routinely get calls from customers who are extremely angry with "You People."  Here's a tip, people of the internet, when you have overdrawn your account at any bank, it doesn't matter where you bank, perhaps screaming at the person trying to help you might not be the best way to handle it.  I know, it's shocking for me to even say this, but calling me a f*cking c*nt does not make me want to help you.  
 
Here is probably the most amusing ATM story I have heard.  Customer calls in.  "I went to the ATM to make a deposit.  My card wasn't working."  Banker thinks the customer is calling in to get a replacement card.  Logical, right?  Customer continues "I turned to the guy behind me and asked if I could use his card to make my deposit and he said yes.  He entered in his secret code and everything.  Where's my money?"  Here's the thing, people.  She was serious.  She honestly thought that using the ATM card of some random stranger would make her deposit go into her account.  
 
Things you should know about ATM machines:
 
  1. If the machine doesn't have your bank's name on the top and you are charged a fee for using it, that's not our fault.  Banks are required to disclose all fees to their customers.  Read your disclosures.  Once you sign that account application, you are agreeing to the disclosures and future changes to the disclosures.  If you're not comfortable with that, don't sign the application!
  2. Do not make a deposit at a machine that is not owned by your bank.  There is no guarantee that you will ever receive the deposit into your account.  You would be truly amazed at the number of people who want to do this.
  3. Do not give your PIN # (secret code) to anyone.  I don't care if it's your husband, wife, parent, child, best friend or whatever.   If your card is used without your permission and it turns out to be because you gave someone your PIN #, well, you can pretty much kiss that money goodbye.  Don't write your PIN # on your card either.
  4. If you have the opportunity to print a statement from the ATM, don't do it.  Most banks charge for that.  Most banks also provide free online banking.  Why pay for something you can get for free?

Okay, I'm going to get off my soapbox.  But please, listen to my advice.  Only you can prevent overdraft fees.  Keep a register.  Don't spend money you don't have.  Oh and with today's technology, yes, it is possible to write a check to someone and have it go through your account on the same day.  Don't try to beat the bank, people, it doesn't work.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home